Saturday, December 17, 2011

Teaching, Teacher, and Thorns

By Felix N. Bagnol, PhD
Lipata Elementary School
Surigao City District VI

Among all other things, teaching was never meant to be a predestined calling on me. I would explicate this because I was told that teaching is a multi-faceted preoccupation. Even then, I used to be a victim of many, I mean, different types of teachers. Some were domineering and strict who believed in suiting a penalty to the crime. Some were indulgent who were able to lend a hand when the pace seemed slow and steady. Still others were that nonchalant or that you would always expect to be ignored and looked down.

Teaching is a mission guided by love.  (Photo by G.M Forbes)
This was my notion on teaching – a job so desired but a part is sometimes wasted. And it all occurred to me way back then. It had been an outright view on me not until someplace else at the back of my mind encouraged me like what I am now. Either conscience or someone else’s approval propelled me on my way. The thing is, and the matter says, I am what I ought to be.

Now, it is to my apprehension that teaching is a gigantic endeavor. I have for now and it will always be considered a noble profession.

We are in need of teachers who can bring the best out of the child’s potentials and capabilities. We wish to have teachers who will become the children’s admired model in the community. We dream of teachers who will be the frontline of society’s moral, spiritual, and ideological changes. As our community hungers for upright teachers, so does the learning world.

My idea on teaching simply suggests a tap on the shoulder. Once it is done, you will be awakened and all together oblivious of what is happening around you. Teaching is a communicable virus. Once it is inflected into the system, it perpetrates inside out. The moment you teach a child or anybody else, the words are about to seep through her not until you render interest on her. In other words, teaching through absorbing is semi-permeable. It would be a sort of a deal between the learner and the teacher.

I have always believed that learning is a two-way feature. It is sometimes chewed but not digested and in other times digested but land as a waste. It is the responsibility of a teacher to hone the child’s sensitive minds and to shape her ideals and behavior as she is still tamable and young.

If I have to do it all over again, I still would wish to teach. This is now my flare for life, a fire emblazoned in my genes. I would be brick to say that if one abhors teaching, he never becomes a guru but turns out to be a flop. To be a teacher is to be naturally interested in the work. It must be remembered that unlike other professions, teaching is replete with thorns more than roses.

No comments: